Saturday, 12 July 2008

Life after Israel...

The past 2 weeks have been somewhat of a whirlwind.  I arrived back in the United States last Tuesday wishing that I hadn't left Israel.  While battling jetlag, I spent the next few days in Virginia Beach trying to get my life back in order.  I worked at school on preparing for the Regent Cup (the Moot Court Board competition that I am in charge of planning) and also planning various activities for COGS.  

My mom helped make the transition back to America a little smoother by sending a "Welcome Back to America" care package with M&Ms and Chick-fil-A coupons.  It was a nice touch.  I also spent the 4th of July with my darling Katie and her husband Ben (and his family).  Last summer, Katie and I were studying abroad in France, so we celebrated our country's independence with the hateful French.  It was nice to be back in the land of the free and the home of the brave this year; although, we both missed singing "God Bless America" with John Ashcroft.  

Last Sunday, I packed my car and headed for Washington, D.C.  What was supposed to be less than a 3.5 hour drive from Virginia Beach to DC turned into a 7.5 hour drive.  I was on the verge of tears.  Luckily, I have very precious friends, Katey & Jonathan (& Trolly's parents), who came to the rescue and helped me find my way around DC and move in to my new home.  For the next 5 weeks, I am living on George Washington University's campus in the ADPi townhouse.  It's not quite like my glory days in the ADPi house at Winthrop, but it will work for a few weeks.  

I wasted no time after moving to DC on Sunday and bright & early this Monday, I started my Congressional Internship with the Senate Steering Committee.  The Committee is chaired by my very own South Carolina Senator Jim DeMint and we provide conservative oversight to every bill in the Senate.  We promote conservative legislation- and try to prevent liberal legislation from passing- by putting holds on bills, negotiating bills, sending Congressional letters, and giving bill promotion assistance.  (sorry to my Democrat friends).  

I realized on the first day of work that I have so much to learn about history, politics-- especially how the Senate and Senators work.  Life in the Senate- and in the Russell building- is its own world.  I know that this internship will be unlike any other internship, and I know that it will stretch me.  By August, I should know much more about public policy, political strategy, parliamentary procedure, and the conservative movement.  I will also have a tally on the number of bills that reach the Senate floor that contain a dollar amount in the BILLIONS.  (the Accounting major in me that believes in balanced budgets gets angry every time).

so.. life in DC is good.  I am slowly adjusting to the big city and riding the metro.  Hopefully, I will also adjust to the heat & humidity- it's worse than South Carolina!  Until then, I hope you're having a great summer as well!

No comments: