Thursday, 31 July 2008

what a month....

I am a horrible blogger. I have a hard time sitting still and slowing down. Blogging requires both of those things.  So, here's an attempt to update you on my month of July...

First let me say, it has been a "stretching" month. I have faced a few challenges, and at first I thought that life hated me, but I soon realized that God was just stretching me.

Challenge #1. I turned 25. I know, I know. It is just a number, and I am still young. I've heard it all. However, 25 is a BIG BIG BIG number to me. Most girls panic with a new birthday because they are not married or they don't have a solid career-- no-- that's not me. I just don't like the way that "25" sounds or looks. I am completely satisfied with where I am right now in life. I just don't like my number. However, I do enjoy celebrating my birthday (as many of you may know). Here are a few pictures from my celebration-- that is still ongoing.

Dinner at Sequoias in Georgetown


Katey knows that i LOVE brownies.  
She went as far as emailing my mom to make sure that I 
would love brownies for my birthday.  Precious.

There's nothing that says "Happy Birthday" better than a cookie cake from the Chocolate Shoppe in Greenville, South Carolina.  That and my parents driving 9 hours more than planned to give it to me.

Danielle waited for me to return to DC from SC to celebrate my birthday.  Precious friends.

Challenge #2.  Flying to South Carolina
I love to travel.  I have been all over the world.  However, I attempted to fly from DC to SC for Jamie & Tripp's wedding and it was a disaster.  I booked the flight months ago because I thought it would be the less expensive and less exhausting way to travel.  I was wrong and Spirit Airlines proved me wrong.  My flight out of DC was running late, and although they promised me that I wouldn't miss my connecting flight, I did.  I was stuck in Ft. Lauderdale and had to rebook a ticket to Myrtle Beach.  Normally, I would LOVE to visit MB but I was supposed to be in Columbia to see my parents before heading to the rehearsal dinner.  Instead, I flew from Ft. Lauderdale to Orlando to Myrtle Beach.  My parents- whom i LOVE dearly- drove from Greenville to Myrtle Beach to pick me up and drive me to Columbia.  We celebrated my birthday along the way and then they drove back to Greenville.  It was a horribly long day.  It took me 16 hours to travel from DC to SC.  It took me less time to fly to Israel in June.  Nevertheless, I made it and the wedding was worth it.

Pictures of Jamie & Tripp's Day of Marriage:

A Meg(h)an Squared Reunion.  Watch out!

Getting ready with Ginger.

Jamie and her gorgeous bridesmaids.

Alpha Delta Pi girls.

the Greenville girls.

Challenge #3.  Celebrating Betsy.

Last Thursday, I received a few messages and phone calls that immediately gave me concern.  I soon found out that one of my ADPi sisters, Betsy, had a blood clot that went to her heart.  Betsy was 27 and a vibrant girl.  It is never easy to lose a loved one, but for some reason it stings a little more when it's a young loved one.  My great-grandmother lived to be 101 years old, so somewhere deep down inside of me, I have convinced myself that all of my friends should also live to be 101.  However, God's will is perfect, and I know that He has a very good reason for taking Claire and Betsy from us at young ages.  

Nevertheless, the pain is still real.  I was grateful to meet up with Sarah P. for the long drive to South Carolina.  I was holding up strong until the memorial service started.  Betsy's family put together a slideshow of pictures and a couple of pictures of Betsy and I wound up in the slideshow.  All of the good memories of our days in ADPi came pouring back and I realized how brightly her light shone for all of us.  I especially choked up when I saw a picture of Betsy & Claire at an ADPi formal.  I can't help but think that they're both in heaven having a blast and waiting for all of us to join them.  

(all of my pictures of Betsy were taken with my old, huge camera.  once i scan the pictures, i'll post them).

Challenge #4:  Learning the Ways of the Senate

I am a small fish in a big pond.  I knew on my first day of work with the Senate Steering Committee that I would have a lot to learn.  I really felt like Legally Blonde; however, I have been stretched in such a great way here in DC.  Here's a list of fun things that I've done with the Steering Committee:

- run to Senator's offices to have Congressional letters signed
- check the Congressional Calendar for liberal legislation and write memos on why we should hold the bill if it comes up for floor debate
- attend hearings with Katey & Jonathan (on topics like Childhood Obesity, Border Security Programs, Aviation...)
- summarize cases
- write talking points for Senator DeMint
- use my Senate ID pass to get Sam into Taco Salad Day in the Capitol
- use my Senate ID pass to give Jonathan an all-access tour of the Capitol
- receive a tour of the Capitol Visitor's Center before it is complete
- attend $600 CLE's for free (it pays to be a law student) with Justice Scalia and Bryan Garner to find out how to be a better legal research and writer and oral advocate
- attend Senator DeMint's book signing- "Why We Whisper:  Restoring our Right to Say It's Wrong."
- attend Senator Rick Santorum's lecture on "The Impact of the Islamo-Fascist Threat on the Judeo-Christian World"
- learn about public policy, political strategy, parliamentary procedure and the conservative movement

the list goes on and on.  
I have had a great month with the Senate Steering Committee.  I have learned and i have grown.  and in the words of Senator DeMint (the Chair of the Steering Committee and my SC Senator):  "they (the Steering Committee) are crazy down there!"  my response:  "yes sir, we are."

the Russell Building houses Senate offices- including mine.
Russell is also attached by an underground walkway to the Capitol and Dirksen and Hart buildings

not a bad view on my way to work in the morning.

the little man on the left and on the big screen is Justice Scalia.

My South Carolina Senator Jim DeMint.  He is also the Chairman of the Senate Steering Committee; thus, he is my boss.

No comments: