Monday, 16 June 2008

Legally Blonde

After exams and Katie's gorgeous wedding, I raced back to South Carolina to begin my 5 week internship with my law firm, Morton & Gettys LLC.  I worked for M&G in college and grad school- in fact- I was their first runner.  However, they now call me their "success story."  

The firm has been a second family to me for 5 years now, and I was very excited about the opportunity to be their Summer Associate.  This summer, I mainly worked for Michael handling Family Law cases, but I also had the chance to work on a wrongful death mediation, a fee dispute, and a personal injury case.  In 5 weeks, I gathered evidence, met with clients, heard many family law hearings in Family Court, participated in day-long mediations, met judges and attorneys, wrote memos, researched rules of evidence, prepared subpoenas, spoke with Guardian ad Litems...  the list goes on.  

Needless to say, I learned so much watching and working with "my attorneys."  Learning doesn't stop when you leave the classroom and fun doesn't stop when you have a full-time job. My only regrets are that time didn't stand still a little longer and that I didn't get to help Josh with commercial real estate.  (ha- just kidding!)

No comments: