Monday, 16 June 2008

Oh, the Places You'll Go!

Thanks to my Nana, I have been fortunate to have many opportunities to travel the world.  I was able to see where she started her company many years ago in Hong Kong.  I caught a glimpse of my heritage in London, Scotland and Ireland, and I studied International Human Rights last summer in Strasbourg, France while continuing my travels to Italy, Salzburg, and Germany.

However, this trip is unlike any other trip.  I am in the Holy Land.  I am walking the streets that Jesus walked.  The Bible stories that I was taught in Children's Church when I was 5 years old-- well they are coming alive to me now.  I am in awe of Israel.

Regent University School of Law sponsored this study abroad trip to Israel.  We are staying in Jerusalem for 2 weeks and then moving on to Haifa for the last week.  We are taking 2 courses (taught by Regent professors):  Biblical & Qur'anic Law and Issues of International Law and the State of Israel.  We are being immersed in the culture and learning the history of the Holy Land and the people.  

In one week, we have been given a general "lookout" tour of the area, settled into The Hebrew University where our classes are being held, visited the Old City/Western (Wailing) Wall, watched a military ceremony, had an incredible dinner at Abu Ghosh, visited the museum where the Dead Sea Scrolls are displayed (I saw the Book of Isaiah that was written more than 2,000 years ago!), toured Masada, floated in the Dead Sea, walked through the Rabbinic Tunnel, visited Qumran, toured the Knesset and met with a Parliament member, walked through Hezekiah's Tunnel in a foot of water (in the City of David), and visited the Military Court in the West Bank area (including meeting a Military Judge and Rabbi/former Prosecutor).  

I can't wait for the next two weeks because I know more life-changing experiences are in store for us.  I wish you were here.

No comments: